Tuesday 8 September 2009

PoleDivas - Well that was unexpected!

Well off I went to Bristol yesterday, family in tow for a nice day out, finishing with the South West heats of PoleDivas. After an amazing lunch of spinach and ricotta lasagane with garlic bread and salad from a little homemade stall in the market, we had time for a quick look round the shops before I had to be at the venue, Platform 1.

Apart from my first panic over the ceiling and how it would be possible to do my planned death lay, I settled down with Sam, Hayley and Sarah Jane to munch on grapes and lucozade, whilst waiting for the night to begin. Despite the delayed start of opening the doors, which left me feeling rather guilty as my family waited outside in the rain after strict instructions to be there at 7, the venue was soon filling up and things seemed to be under way. The venue, Platform 1 was a very smart little club which allowed the audience to sit both sides, which I always think is a nice bonus, a good sound system and a nice curtain at the back for us to enter through.

So the performances kicked off with the amateurs, who were all a joy to watch, with their glitzy outfits and well thought out song choices. Up next were the advanced level students, kicking off with our own Sarah Jane, who did the Art Of Dance so proud. Her quirky prop of the fan and classic song choice of Marilyn Manson, Tainted Love led to a spectactular performance, that she should be so proud off. It was tough competition for the advanced section with all four girls showing incredible strength. Carrie, the winner of the Advanced section, I must say blew me away, with a flawless routine. And I still don't quite know how one minute she was on the floor and the next in a handstand!

So it was us up next for the Professional section, kicking off with Sam. Well Sam's performance, was as amazing as to be expected from Sam. She just makes everything look sooo effortless!! Filled with new tricks and graceful moves, it was a beautiful performance. Following Sam, was myself, and apart from feeling that my mighty grip wasn't doing very much I was feeling very calm. I don't really remember much of my performance now I think back to it, but I came off feeling good and I enjoyed my performance so much I don't think I stopped smiling most of the way through it.
After me was Hayley, dancing to Metallica, which I think suites her perfectly. Again her routine was flawless, with some inspiring spins and effortless strength. An amazing debut.
Last on was Kate Johnston, of Spin City, who was dancing to the classic Nirvana, Smells like Teen Spirit. With her sparkly makeup and well choreographed routine, I had no idea who was going to win this one.

So it came to the descisions and as they began to announce the winners, I seriously did not know who to expect that they would announce, and I think the expression on my face made it clear that I was not expecting it to be myself! I was completely shocked!!

I do have to say a massive thankyou to Sam, as if it wasn't for her, her inspiration and encouragement I would not be where I am today, and wouldn't have even considered entering this year. And also for giving me the opportunity to teach others and pass on the skills she has taught me.

2 comments:

ArtofdanceJo said...

Congratulations Tamar.

sam@theartofdance.co.uk said...

My pleasure! Now time to seriously beast you before the finals!! Sam x